I know I haven’t done a really big post on our new apartment – do you still want to see pics of moving and a tour?
As an interim, I now present the first in a series:
Top 5 favorites
To start – my top 5 favorite things in our new apartment (in no particular order)
- Balcony – Our balcony is HUGE. It’s actually a lot bigger than many of the other units in our complex. I don’t know why that would be or how we got so lucky, but it is BIG. Honestly, if we wanted to, we could fit a couple twin beds out there. We won’t …. but we could.
There is a spot on one end that would be perfect for shelves – it’s blocked from the wind and rain pretty well, and it appears that maybe there were shelves there previously and the holes are still there.
We want to get a little bistro-like table and chairs, or maybe a more comfy couch-type piece for out there.
Andrew’s parents gave us a little propane grill (Andrew has been grilling every day, but that’s a story for another post), and we need to find a good table to put the grill on. Something other than the overturned crate we’re using now.Our fridge is full of beer because Andrew has this dream of coming home in the cool spring evening and having a beer out on the balcony.
We love love love having this balcony, overlooking the courtyard …
P.S. So big I can’t even get a photo of the whole thing.
- walk-in closet - I didn’t turn on the light for this pic, but if there weren’t clothes in there, we could turn on the light in this closet and make it a little office. I already told Andrew he’s going to have to sleep in there when he’s in trouble.
Also big enough for a twin bed, incidentally.
I’ve never had a walk-in closet. It’s pretty fantastic.
Especially after the teeny tiny all-our-clothes-smashed-in closet-in-the-kitchen we used to have.
- super super hot water - no photo of this one. sorry.
Our shower has the HOTTEST water. I almost cried with joy that first morning.
Our last “apartment” shared a water heater with the main house and there was NEVER enough hot water for a full shower. Never.
I couldn’t ever enjoy my showers. I couldn’t ever even shave my legs in the shower. There was NEVER enough hot water.
But now – oh sweet heaven of hot water!
I seriously cannot overstate how much I love a really hot shower, and now I get one every day!
- huge floor space in the living room - on the downside, there is less wall space for bookshelves and things, but I love having so much floor space. Even with our living room furniture in the apartment, there’s still so so much room.
We have plenty of space for sleep overs.
In case anyone feels like staying the night …
- north-facing windows - not a great photo, but you get the idea.
The only windows we have in this apartment are north-facing.
If you know your … geography or physical science, you know that means we get NO direct light. None.
It’s all this gorgeous, soft, indirect light.
GREAT for photos.
Which is pretty much my only requirement.
But especially compared to our last “apartment” which had 3 windows in exactly the right spot to shine morning light DIRECTLY INTO MY FACE every morning.
These north-facing windows are heaven.
- old-people hardware - clearly the same cabinets and hardware from when the unit was built … in the 1960s, maybe? Total old-people hardware. Love.
Also, all the cabinet doors in the kitchen are crooked like this!
- gas stove and oven – Just having a real stove and oven is fantastic, since we didn’t for the last year.
But I really am enjoying having gas-powered appliances again.
- 2 front doors - Yup. That’s right.
We have our ‘normal’ front door with the locks and doorbell and all.
And then we have this OTHER door in the kitchen that leads out to the same hallway our front door leads to. There’re just fewer locks on this one.
Most of the units on our side of the building have this, I’ve noticed.
Maybe it’s an escape hatch? Who knows.
- big tree outside our window - Blocks out even more of the north-facing light. I’ve been getting more than 8 hours of sleep every night because of this tree.
This tree that’s also gorgeous, by the way.
SUCH a nice view!
- Dr. Ghost – He deserves his own post.
All kinds of things to love in this new apartment. The novelty hasn’t worn off yet …
love love love our new home …