SoCal Vignettes – The Wave of Flags

Monday we made a special trip to Malibu to see the Wave of Flags on Pepperdine’s front lawn.
I first heard about this 9/11 memorial here, on Sunday afternoon. One of the many reasons I love keeping up with blogs.

I don’t know why I hadn’t heard about this anywhere else. The only news article I could find on it was this little tiny LA Times blog.

Sounds like it was only up for a week (which means it is probably gone by now), and intended to honor the 3000 dead on 9/11.

When we went Monday (on the way to work) there were hardly any people there.

It was just amazing to walk through. The flags were set up in a kind of L shape, so there wasn’t really anyway to see all of them at once.

The wind was perfect that time of day, and all the flags were very much on display.

I am so so grateful I was able to go take pictures and that I learned about this early enough. It was really amazing to be there, walking through, reflecting. Totally aside from any politics of the attack or the war or anything.

Andrew was driving me to work that day (car at the mechanic), and it was his idea to stop by after work (1130p) to see how the flags were lit at night.

Enjoy.

flag-1

flag-2

flag-2-2

flag-3

flag-4

flag-5

flag-6

flag-7

flag-8

flag-9

flag-10

• Julie September 19, 2008, 8:33 am

These pictures bring tears to my eyes.

• linda t September 19, 2008, 9:36 am

Amazing pictures Amy! They are all so frame worthy.

I’m glad I didn’t post the pics I took of the Healing Field in Tempe. Rather lame pics… but oh so moving to walk through the 3000 flags.
    Every single flag had a laminated picture with name and occupation of every single person that perished that day, tied onto the flag with a yellow ribbon.
    Made me cry, reading about each person…

• NanAZ September 19, 2008, 1:15 pm

Beautiful pics. The flags were so “alive” during the day, then still and quiet at night. Quite a contrast. Sounds like Pepperdine needs someone to do a little marketing for them. Maybe you should offer to donate or sell some of your pictures in case they want to put something on their website or advertise for next year.

• Lisa September 19, 2008, 1:32 pm

W-O-W.

• Maggie Mae September 19, 2008, 4:58 pm

I wish you had told me you were going, there actually was a great place from above on campus where you could see all the flags at once and the ocean behind them. I was on campus the other day, but had forgotten to bring my camera with me.

• Nicole T September 20, 2008, 9:37 am

fantastic pics!

• theothersideoftheaisle September 20, 2008, 5:36 pm

those pictures are beautiful and the scene is heartwreching. your a really talented photographer.

• Tricia September 29, 2008, 8:10 pm

Your photography is marvelous. Thanks for sharing this memorial with us.

{ 8 comments… add one }